Monday 20 December 2010

Le weekend!!

Well Thursday and Friday I did the usual 3. Temp had dropped again and after the big thaw the big freeze produced roads and pavements fit for an olympic ice rink! JoAnne reported that she gave herself perfect tens for her dancing on ice performance that night and on friday she re-enacted bambi's first steps!

i faired a little better as i decided to add a pair of stockings over my normal trainers for grip as my waffle soles were useless on solid ice.  Also i looked like a homeless person according to my son when i borrowed his school shorts to were over my trackies to keep my bum warm! i had leg warmers on my arms and my legs that night!! it did feel colder than the minus 8 the thermometer was claiming!


Well saturday we had great intentions desperate for our long run i met joanne and donna at the usual place- only .2 of a skiting mile away.  donna was piling out of her car with her usual expedition kit - backpack with 2 litres of water no matter how small a distance she runs [and she drinks it!!], gels, phone, fek wouldn't be surprised if she had a space blanket in there too!!  jo-anne like me with nothing [tho she is sensible and brings water with her most long journeys and also has her phone on her] but i like to travel light!! 

needless to say the icerink called baljaffray had not improved any since the day before and doing my usual och we'll be fine let's go enthusiasm was met with no chance not on your life retorts!! as a compromise we agreed to drive down to morrisons and start from anniesland and head out towards town on great western road.  surely it must be gritted!!   is it hell!!  Trying to keep to rough bits for grip [i think i faired better because of my nylon coverings] i could hear yiping and squeaking behind me as i heard donna and joanne struggling.  i sped ahead knowing they'd want to turn back if they could catch me!! when i ran out of rough bits to run on i had no option but to run back to them.  true enough it was too bad to continue so we headed back carefully. however it had started snowing which did help the grip but it didn't last long so we decided 5 miles was better that none!! 

pissed off all 3 of us we needed some cheering up!! i noticed a xmas tree net wrapper and being on my bucket list of weird and wonderful things to do i asked if they would stick me through it!  they were most accommodating!! in fact they said i wasn't first!! i bet they have turns putting themselves through it every day!! donna and joanne were desperate to get me wrapped up to try slow me down!! we did get some weird looks on the way to the car but it was all worth it for the laugh it gave us! 


Desperate to slow me down Donna and JoAnne threw me in!!

Bagged it! - tho not the first to be bagged we were told!!

Still cannae catch me even in a net!! lol!

home delivery!!




They do have some lovely xmas trees!!

SUNDAY DAY 19!
luckily the snow had now fixed more securely to the underlying ice and grip was better than day before! Donna, Joanne and I went off to complete our long run.  This time we decided to try great western road again running from home down the switchback all the way into town.  Happily this time we had much better grip and once past morrisons at anniesland the pavements were completely clear.  A bit of skating on the switchback but wherever possible we ran on the road.  running back and forth to round up my buddies i managed to pack in 15 miles in 2hr 40mins which wasn't bad over the nasty bits. though we all got a great stretch out along great western road!! FAB!  In fact after all the short strides on ice my legs forgot what it was like to run normally and i ran with this inane grin on my face for most of it! the folk i passed must have thought i had escaped from the looney bin!!

No comments: