Tuesday 7 December 2010

as Scotland grinds to a halt....

...the marcothonians face more arduous conditions to run in!  The last 3 days have certainly been a challenge! On Saturday, running mate Joanne and I, set out for 10miles heading up towards WHW.  Joanne kept getting cramp in her calves and had to keep stopping to stretch - leaving me to run on and back. If I stop I get cold so I always keep on running!



Eventually I noticed that Joanne was running with her leggings open baring her calves to the lovely minus 11 degrees so in my opinion this is why she was getting cramp.  Since i had long socks. long leggings and leg warmers on I told her to zip up her leggings and gave her my leg warmers.  She said it did help and by God I noticed the difference without them!! I managed 10 but it was at a 12 min mile pace on the ice and slush - but happy I got out!





Sunday there had been a big freeze overnight so the broken up snow had frozen leaving icy roads and solid chunks of snow.   Running was extremely hard work.  The plan was to do 15miles with Donna and Joanne too!  As Joanne had hurt her ankle the day before we decided that Donna and I would run 3 with her down to Kilmardinny and back, then we would set off up the WHW for rest.  I took the dog so headed off in front. I slipped at one point on great big chunk of snow, twisting my ankle; though it seemed to ease after a while, I decided after 4 frustrating miles to call it quits for the day! I had done my marcothon minimum so at least I was happy about that.  Donna agreed to have a rest after that too.  After all we had been running 25-26 miles every weekend for last month or so - so it was okay for a lesser milage this weekend!!


Monday however the weather decided to get worse! Forty centimetres of snow fell in a few hours in morning and ground Scotland to a halt! Schools were closed and my work was even closed too! I had planned to run 3 so ventured out about 4ish with dog to find I was running in knee deep snow.  The plough hadn't got near our place and even the roads were totally covered in fresh snow.  After about a half mile running on and off I gave up and came home and resorted to 25 mins on the dreaded treadmill - or the dreadmill as Donna calls it!


Let's hope the snow is runnable on Tuesday!!!

No comments: