Wednesday 8 December 2010

dam-n!

Tuesday I was determined I was not going on the treadmill.  It was so sunny too so I wanted to be out there but at minus 6 with ice on ice it wasn't safe locally!  Andrew was off too so we decided to try the dam!  The dam was lovely - getting to it and back from Esporta car park was more of a challenge than the Marcothon!! Our ankles twisted like a rollerball dyson over great chunks of ice trying to keep a running pace.  I felt like throwing a tantrum and turning back at least 3 times that first half mile.  But thank god the agony was worth it for the pleasant 3 flat, smoothish miles on soft snow round the dam. It was deserted too. Only 2 folk with cameras taking pictures of the beautiful sunset over the water.





Wednesday I found my very, very old trail shoes at the back of my running cupboard!! I think I got them in the late 80s to go hill running but never liked them much always preferring my normal well cushioned trainers.  I thought I'd have a look at the soles and was delighted to find they might provide some grip on the frozen roads.   Having dropped to minus 11 last night and not gone above freezing today I thought i'd first try them out on dog walk and if fit for purpose wear them running later. They were perfect!!



That didn't give me incentive to do more than the minimum 3 though as spending half of it running uphill is enough in this!! Although running with a bag of dog poop for half a mile was a bit of a risk!!  Must admit, while I like the absolute beauty of the snow and taking pics of the icicles and being stuck at home because work closed I do miss a good long run on proper terrain!!





No comments: