Sunday 12 December 2010

the ice lay on the ground...

Thursday did same as usual and more local loops!! Three slow miles [not timing it as too damn slow on the ice]!  But at least I did it.  Friday had a thaw all day but unfortunately left impacted ice on all the pavements and footpaths or slush puddles knee deep on grassy areas.  I did don my normal trainers which had been quite clean till then!! They are now the same muddy brown as my old ones! Sogging, slogging miles... Getting a bit repetitive but at least I am keeping up the challenge!

Saturday my 2 trainees had other plans so I joined my running pal who lives up the road [and runs with Clydesdale Harriers] and her pal Marie.  We had planned 8 along the canal from Yoker but the canal was solid ice so we decided to keep to the road. The company was a good distraction from the boring straight Dumbarton Road but footing was very skittery in places where we had to dodge in and out good patches like tyres on an assault course!  We decided to head over the Erskine Bridge to get up to ten miles.  Some parts of the path were treacherous but we took our time and it was worth it for 2 clear miles of normal ice free running over the bridge and back.  Happily we did it in 1hour 40mins which was fab considering the conditions.

Day 12 Marcothon Challenge Sunday - Joanne was not well so opted for a treadmill session of the minimum 25mins instead - wise with a sore throat and dizziness.  Donna and I wanted a long run so headed for town along Great Western Road hoping for ice free terrain.  Unfortunately Bearsden was icy in places and we ran on the road when we could.  After Morrisons in Anniesland we were able to stretch out and run normally as the pavements were clear.  I left Donna a mile from her home to complete 14 and I carried on till 15miles in 2 hours 45mins.  My excuse for such a terribly slow time is the icy pavements, the hilly route and legs that felt like someone had swapped the out for lead piping - I think the Marcothon is beginning to make an impression on them now.  I don't think I kept up the big miles last year at the weekends when doing the same challenge but I am determined that I will this year - even if I have to go slow.

No comments: