Monday 24 August 2009

sunday-not my funday- my i'm gonna have to runday!



Well this sunday mo and i did the same run we did last week but with the aim of going faster than last week's miserable time! just let me reiterate that this route incorporates the ten hills milngavie bearsden highland games 10k route!



this week it poured down so hard i could taste the sunblock as it was washed off my head and into my eyes pouring down the back of my throat via my tearducts. still at least it was cool and gave me the incentive to run fast to get it over with. the plan this week was to test if i could run any faster now i was superjuicing. however i had sabotaged coming to this run in great shape by drinking a wee bit too much the night before. i even considered calling it off and sleeping in. my gut felt dodgy and my heid was pure pounding man! but after breakfast my gut had settled and the sare heid became a mild throb behind one eye! and i knew i'd regret not running, so i went! [psychobabble - you can always run slow if you feel crap better than not running at all! and you can't let mo down!]

mo ran ahead to set the pace and it also had the added advantage i wouldn't be tempted to talk all the way! mo likes to get "in the zone" and she can't do that with my incessant chatter! i got into my own zone listening to britney's "in the zone!" as i trundled behind her. unfortunately it ran out of battery halfway so had to content myself imagining i could hear the beat!

mo settled into a steady pace about 50 metres in front of me. i kept her in my sights and kept the pace. how i ended up that far behind was probably because of fannying with my shuffle to get the right song and listening to my own psychobabble again! you know the type?? - why did i agree to this, god i wish i hadn't drank so much last night, oh my leg/ foot/ass is sore, etc. i did feel like throwing only one mile in but we had set off too fast and i could read mo's lips to decipher that she was going to slow for a bit then build! the hassle of switching the shuffle off or trying to take the earphones out my ear was more trouble than it was worth. the rubber bits always get detached and stuck in my ear then i have to stop and fish them out to fix then and at the same time being careful not to drop them and lose them. so i nodded that i agreed and understood and was secretly thankful as that eased the vom rising in my throat!

i never looked at the garmin during the run tho i could hear it beeping at each mile marker. having done a rubbish average of 9m45s last week for the 7 miles i was hoping that a below 9 would be achievable - hangover permitting! admittedly the nagging post vino throb behind my right eye was lessening or maybe it was just the pain in my right leg was worse that it masked the head ache but there is nothing like a run for a hangover cure!!

by the end of the run i had lost mo. the last wee bit running back through milngavie had too many turns for me to keep sight of her but i never gave in i kept the pace till the end when the final beep of the garmen told me i had reached 7 miles i stopped to see mo pop out of a bush! i am sure she was afraid if i saw her i'd slow down before i got there and she'd have been right!! mo was disappointed with her time so i wasn't holding any great expectations when i looked at mine! so imagine my surprise when i saw my average was 8m35s!! Ace! mo had 8m31s but wants to get it down to 7m30s - i told her she'll be letting me start ahead of her then when it gets to that stage. although mo insists she'll get me there too [my psychobabble is saying otherwise!] and after the difference in time for the exact same route was surprising to me, maybe, just maybe anything's possible!

so can we contribute some of that improvement to diet? let's hope so! but there is only so much beetroot juice a gal can take! donna you may have started something!

No comments: